Once we remove your braces, we will move into the retention phase of your treatment. Your retainer will stabilize the new position of your teeth. It is important that you wear your retainer as instructed so you can achieve the maximum benefits of your treatment. If you feel that your retainer does not fit properly or breaks at any time during treatment, please do not adjust it yourself. Call us immediately to schedule an appointment.
- Wear your retainers 24/7 until Dr. Long instructs you otherwise.
- When eating, please remove your retainer and be sure to put it in your case!
- Clean your retainers at least once a day. Use a clean toothbrush and warm water. Do NOT use toothpaste as it will scratch your retainer. You may also soak them in a glass of warm (not hot) water or mouth wash. Cleaning your retainers daily will keep them free of plaque, odors, and prevent discoloration.
- Please keep your retainers in their case when you are not wearing them. Retainers left out can be easily lost, thrown away, or chewed on by pets!
- Practice speaking, reading aloud, or singing to get accustomed to talking while wearing your retainers.
- Your retainers are breakable. If you bend them, step on them, or sit on them they will break.
- If you break or lose a retainer call us immediately.
- Please DO NOT adjust your retainers yourself. Dr. Long will do this for you if need be.
- Be sure to bring your retainers to every appointment.
- To avoid melting, please keep your retainers away from hot water, hot cars, and the washing machine.
- Please do not put your retainer in your pocket or in a napkin as they can break easily.